Summer is almost here, which means it’s time to prepare your vessel for the sailing season. Your boat has been in storage or in relatively little use since the last sailing season. This means you have a few things to do before you embark on your next journey. Fortunately, there are marine fire safety experts who can help you get your boat up and running safely.
Risk of Not Preparing Your Vessel
It’s vital to prepare your sea vessel for the water. After all, you want to have fun but you want to enjoy your water excursions safely. If you don’t prepare for the season, you could find yourself in a scary situation if you encounter an emergency while out at sea. Plus, your vessel may not be in compliance with relevant rules and regulations in your location.
How to Prepare Your Vessel
Fortunately, there are ways to prepare your vessel for the sailing season. Here are some tips to do so:
- Get an inspection from a marine fire safety expert: The first tip for preparing your vessel is to obtain an inspection from a marine fire safety professional. This individual will inspect your boat and ensure everything works safely and you have the necessary safeguards in place. This is often required by law.
- Conduct regular maintenance checks: You may also have to perform regular maintenance checks and these are good to do whether required by local regulations or not.
- Ensure your fire safety equipment is present and works well: Ensure that all fire safety equipment on your boat is in place and works well.
- Ensure all electrical equipment on the boat is safe and in working order: Check all your electrical equipment to ensure it’s in good working order and operates safely, as faulty electrical equipment can cause fires.
- Follow safety rules: There are many safety rules to follow when you operate a water vessel. Make sure you follow these important rules.
- Be in compliance with training and education: You should also have all your necessary training and education completed. Plus, if you have to keep up with training periodically, make sure you do so.
Be prepared when boating season rolls around. Ensure your vessel is ready for the water and will operate safely.